The Boyd House is a historic renovation and adaptive reuse project of the historic Boyd House on the Fisk University campus.
This project required the project team to initiate initial interior demolition to expose structural elements, and areas where the structure could be improved or modified for future Fisk University office and administration space. The primary goal of this project was to capture and utilize the contextual significance of the historical structure while updating some of the spaces to accommodate the University’s requested programmatic uses.
The Boyd House was owned by Dr. Henry Allen Boyd (1876-1959) and his wife Georgia Bradford Boyd (1884-1952). Fisk University acquired it on October 11, 1938, and it is currently listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Dr. Boyd was a Fisk Trustee and part of the group of influential black men who convinced the Tennessee General Assembly to bring Tennessee State University to Nashville. Mrs. Georgia Boyd was a suffragist and a prominent figure in Nashville’s Colored Women’s Club movement who dedicated her life to serving Nashville’s poorest Black residents. – www.rhboyd.com